Monday, 2 September 2013

Interpreting Mario Karts


Scholar Stuart Hall developed the decoding and encoding model of communication in 1973. In his essay entitled Encoding and Decoding in the Television Discourse, Hall offers three theoretical approaches to how media messages are produced, disseminated and interpreted. Audiences were presented with messages that are then decoded or interpreted in different ways depending on ones cultural background, economic standing or personal experiences (Hall, 1973:58).



There are three different positions a consumer can adopt firstly hegemonic/preferred position, this is where the consumer takes the actual meaning intended. Secondly negotiated position, which is a mixture of accepting and rejecting the message received and the dominant message is not completely accepted. Lastly the oppositional position, where the consumer understands the meaning, however by social situation or personal experience is directly in opposition to the dominant message (Hall, 1973:59).



One of my favourite games is Mario Karts 64 and using Halls model I wanted to examine the representation of gender, race and class that is used in the game. What is the representation of the game in the preferred position? I understand the concept of the game it is a go- cart style racing game, where the player has the choice to choose between various characters like a stereotypical Italian plumber Mario or his brother Luigi or you can play as a oversized and somewhat angry go gorilla called Donkey Kong.






Do I have a negotiated position in regards to his game? Yes, out of the eight characters only one is female Princess Peach, I accept that at this stage there were not many female characters introduced into the franchise so the dominant players were male. Do I have an oppositional position, oh yes. Going back to my problem with only have one female character to choose from, not only did we have one, just like Mario and his brother are stereotyped as Italian she is also stereotyped or pigeon holed being a princess. Due to the fact she was smaller she got bashed around more and even though her cart had good acceleration the others always seemed to catch up and over take.

I never thought I would get this passionate about Mario Karts or even how unbalanced it is because to be honest with you it might make me feel slightly annoyed when I analyse it but really when I’m playing it I don’t care I just have fun.









  • http://www.chronicleworld.org/archive/issue_08/images/8_stuart.jpg (Stuart Hall image)

  • http://thepigskindoctors.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/December09/Mario-Kart-64-3.jpg (Mario Kart characters image)

  • https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhkImdRQOev9yG10siz385FG1AnMdhMi_YumYDTG2CUGSzVAWM2v3RAbaaeb_JBPGIejUr0BqxJGgJwi0iNrblSGroaFgghTaj6RWBWn_9NYxcgWfHx55fHjkF0PGcu7wzIYm6aU3pqqeWk/s400/logo+mariokart64.gif (Mario Kart logo)

6 comments:

  1. Hi there.
    I think it's great how you have introduced the topic and demonstrated your understanding of it before relating it back to your own experience. The way you have broken up the text with the images makes it a lot easier, as a reader, to digest also. A couple small criticisms are that in some places your sentences are quite long which is a little more difficult to follow. Also, some further research/resources would take it up a notch. Really like your background, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julia,
    This was an interesting blog post to read! you demonstrated your understanding to the Hall Model and set up a great intro with this information before you gave a great example.You made some very valid points about Mario Kart that I would never thought of especially about the male dominance of characters within the Mario Kart franchise.
    Thanks for a great read!

    Cheers,
    Prue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Julia!
    I agree with the others and thought your piece was very interesting. I am also a huge fan of Mario Kart and the other mario games so particularly enjoyed your example and the way you interpreted the topic. It is interesting looking back out how there was only one female character because it would never have crossed my mind in my childhood!
    In all a well written and interesting piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Julia,
    This was a very interesting blog post to read, as you demonstrated your understanding of the Hall decoding and encoding model, and this was introduced throughout your introduction before then relating it back to your own personal experiences. I feel that this was a very effective way to construct your post, as the theme of your post is set out early in the beginning, before then breaking out into personal experiences in order to add credibility to your arguments. I myself am also a huge fan of Mario Kart and have had many memories playing it, so I found your blog post extremely relatable as I too would never have questioned the dominance of male characters within the Mario Kart franchise when I was a young child. Great use of images, they relate to the content of the post and add an 'inviting' feature to your blog whilst also breaking up the text which allows for an easier read. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Just like everyone has mentioned Great Post! Your Blog flows and reads really well and your language is clear and understandable. You hit the point, present your view and back it up with evidence. I love the topic you chose. I to also love Mario Kart 64 and agree with your reading being oppositional. Your referencing is good and the connection you have made from the reading/content to Mario Kart is good. Great Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Julia,
    I have enjoyed reading your post this week. You have explained Hall’s coding and decoding model in a very concise and easily understood manner, which was also a great way to introduce this topic. When comparing Hall’s model to a video game you love and are familiar with and concluding that you have an oppositional position, you encourage the reader to think about their stance on this issue. I was interested to read about the theme of stereotypes in video games as it is a commonly overlooked issue compared to other more prominent issues such as video game violence. You have referenced this well but perhaps another resource would really consolidate your point. Great post!

    ReplyDelete