This week I was asked to write a post about
whether a particular art movement or genre type style or subculture has
influenced me, and when I thought about it only one thing came to my mind.
Something that introduced me to a completely new culture and something that I
still deeply love to this day – soul music.
It
is a music genre that originated in the U.S in the late 1950’s to early 1960’s
combining elements of African American Gospel music and rhythm and blues
(soulmusic.com) essentially a hybrid with both genres combining. I remember the
first time I heard it I was ten, my parents had taken my sister and I to the
Pancake Parlor. I was just about tuck into my first pancake when on came a tune
that I still love, Ray Charles ‘I got a woman’ and ‘I just thought what is this’?
‘Its Fricken awesome’ !!!
The great thing about soul music was, and
still is that it gives people a voice. Etta James, Ray Charles, Little Richard and Marvin Gaye all were able to have their voices heard and they were able to expose a huge
audience to the issues that the African American people had and were suffering
with at the time like segregation and racism. Soul music is uplifting that’s
its job and uplift me it did.
It exposed me not to just great music but to a culture I wasn’t really aware of at the age of 10 prior to first hearing this music the only music I could relate to African American culture was Kris – Kross or Salt –n- Pepa. ‘Every culture has music that is distinctive and an important aspect of its identity’ (Letts, 2003:1). I think it is safe to say that soul music, as an art movement is postmodern, the music flowed and followed society with its cultural and economical trends at the time. Through globalization it was possible for me to gain access to this music, to the culture and everything that goes with it.
It exposed me not to just great music but to a culture I wasn’t really aware of at the age of 10 prior to first hearing this music the only music I could relate to African American culture was Kris – Kross or Salt –n- Pepa. ‘Every culture has music that is distinctive and an important aspect of its identity’ (Letts, 2003:1). I think it is safe to say that soul music, as an art movement is postmodern, the music flowed and followed society with its cultural and economical trends at the time. Through globalization it was possible for me to gain access to this music, to the culture and everything that goes with it.
- Letts, R , 2003, 'Music council Australia', http://www.mca.org.au/, Retrieved1/6http://www.mca.org.au/research/research-reports/research-reports/638-the-effects-of-globalisation-on-music-in-five-contrasting-countries-australia-germany-nigeria-the-philippines-and-uruguay
- Soul Music, 2013, http://www.soulmusic.com/Index.asp?s=1&T=38
- Wenner, J, 2013, Rolling Stone http://www.rollingstone.com/music/artists/marvin-gaye, Retrived 30/7 ( Marvin Gaye Image)

A really interesting insight into soul music and its cultural background. Through your own personal story it is clear that soul music left an impression on you as child which is still significant today.
ReplyDeleteWhile some people argue that globalisation is spreading western values throughout the world and contributing to 'cultural imperialism', I agree that it also allows people to adopt and experience new cultures and art forms. As you have outlined in your own person story, the flow of media allows us to learn about and experience cultures from all parts of the world.
Overall a really interesting insight into the foundations of soul music and the cultural impact it has had on your life.
Hi, Jules! I really enjoyed this post - in part, reason being that I also enjoy soul music very much. I liked your use of anecdotes and particularly how you mentioned that it influenced your knowledge of things like segregation and racism. I suppose that is partly the influence of how soul has mixed in with blues and other genres (in the case of artists like Etta James), as well as record labels like Motown. I also liked that you labelled soul as a postmodern art form, considering the cultural and social dynamics of it. Well done :)
ReplyDeleteHi Julia!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading about your exploration of soul music for your task this week, and especially how you related it to your own personal experience growing up with it.
I like how you incorporated Lett's quote "Every culture has music that is distinctive and an important aspect of its identity’ (Letts, 2003:1), as I feel I can really relate to this given that I migrated from Israel and i feel as though music gives me a sense of 'home'.
I also agree with Tom's comment as i really like that you focused on the positive side of globalisation in relation to the flow of art styles and genres whereas many people like to focus on the negative ( I focused on the negative of western cinema in relation to the Arab culture in my blog).
Overall I thought this was a really interesting piece!
I really enjoyed this post. I love soul music too, so it was interesting to read of how it has affected and had an impact on both your life, and the culture you reside in.
ReplyDeleteIt is great to hear that a musical style can have so much impact on an individual and enlighten them to new cultures and ways, and driving a listener to want to find out more about its origins, and cultural background. I am supposing this is exactly what musicians and artists hope for when they create their artworks, and creative expressions.
I like your link and inclusion to the background information surrounding this cultural music movement. The segregation and history of the treatment of African Americans should never be forgotten, and it is wonderful that the origins of this genre, history and truth remains pertinent through this music, despite its continuous progression forward. It is always important to remember the origins of any cultural movement I think.
I enjoy that you have pointed out that if it wasn't for globalisation, you perhaps wouldn't have been able to access this music, and be enlightened by what it has to offer.
Thanks for the post :)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi Julia,
DeleteThe impact globalisation and subsequently soul music has had on your life is made very clear throughout your post. Particularly, I like your reference to the "voice" an artist can utilise to share their opinions and thoughts, and as you said, in this case links directly to the struggles of African American people during times of racial segregation.
To expand your post, perhaps you could look more thoroughly at how particular music styles transgress from music into social movements. A good example of this would be Sixto Rodriguez, whose music, while not originally popular at all in the US, facilitated massive social change in South Africa. This would link it into globalisation more as well.
Thanks, I enjoyed reading!
Hi Jules,
ReplyDeleteGreat post, I couldn't agree more with how wonderful soul music is. Especially music from the early 60's, it portrays so much raw emotion and has this ridiculous ability to story tell the events of the time.
Like you mentioned how soul music gave people a voice, its this voice that has helped to tell a different side of history's story. Especially at the time when the African American community struggled to have their voice heard. Soul music gave them a voice and a platform to tell the world their stories. A well written and really interesting piece.
Hi Julia,
ReplyDeleteThis was a very interesting and well developed post on soul music. As I am unaware about most aspects of this genre, it was excellent to read up about someone else's experiences and how you were first introduced to it. I think it is great how you lead into discussion of how soul music has followed society. This demonstrates an example similar to 'cultural flows' when a cultures ideals integrate into separate cultures. You discussed this point well by pointing out that we all have access to music through globalisation.
A great post, Jules!
ReplyDeleteI didn't know too much about Soul Music myself, so this was really interesting for me to read! You described the culture that influenced you well and you also discussed how you related to it and how it influenced you, which I thought was really interesting! You used great quotes to backup your argument and solidify the post.
You have a great writing style that is very easy to read and understand, and the image towards the beginning was a good point of reference, however perhaps a video or audio would have been able to aid in the understand of the music style? Very well laid out, I really enjoyed reading this piece, well done!